Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My heart is skipping beats (beating twice quickly stops then

My heart is skipping beats (beating twice quickly stops then beats once an then back to the double beat.) I can hardly walk a block without stabbing pains in my heart and chest, it feels like i was running 10 miles and i cannot catch my breath.
I have had these problems and more before such as dizziness, stabbing pain in my left arm, constantly sleepy and a feeling like my heart is being squeezed till it wants to pop.
I went to a doctor once an He said i had anxiety but i am not in stressful situations im at rest when this happens mostly and my heart rate will be at 48 beats per minute.

This is called as Ventricular premature complexes (VPCs) or beats. Typical symptoms associated with them can be palpitations, light-headedness, syncope (faintness), atypical chest pain, or fatigue. But many times they are asymptomatic. EKG is necessary for the evaluation. If the missed beats/pulse is less than 6 per minute with no symptoms; they are considered as benign. The approach to VPCs depends on the frequency of VPCs, attributable symptoms, the presence or absence of underlying structural heart disease, and the estimated risk of sudden cardiac problems. Asymptomatic VPCs require no therapy. For symptomatic VPCs, recommended treatment is;

1) reassurance,

2) avoidance of aggravating factors (stress, caffeine),

3) anxiolytic drugs

4) Beta-blockers and calcium channel blockers.

Medications many times may not be needed.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun