Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I have mild blood pressure, usually around 145/95. I have

I have mild blood pressure, usually around 145/95. I have had lots of tests, my heart is fine and I do not have any lung or kidney problems. I am in the peri menopause so it may well be a little high due to that. My doctor is not too concerned. I was taking atenolol but it made me quite ill and I was taken off that. I haven't taken anything for a few months to see how things go. This week my doctor suggested a water tablet to bring down my blood pressure. He was a little reluctant to give it to me as I have interstitial cystitis and already have an overactive bladder problem, but I said I would try it. Can you tell me how long it takes for the water tablet to bring down blood pressure? I am taking Bendroflumethiazide. I have only taken one tablet so far.. I have been to the loo quite a lot, but as the day has progressed my blood pressure has increased rather than decreased. It is around 155/114. Is this normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Did you just take the first tablet today?
Are you having any chest pain?
Shortness of breath?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dr Abby

I took my first tablet this morning yes. I have a bit of dizziness, nothing serious but none of the other side effects - just higher blood pressure for some unknown reason!

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
The elevated blood pressure is a bit strange, but it would not be due to the medication. Bring your blood pressure cuff with you to your next office visit to make sure that it is reading correctly. Also watch your salt intake. If you had more salt yesterday, this can affect your readings.

It can take a week or two to see good results after starting blood pressure medication.

Since your blood pressure is up today, keep an eye out for headaches, chest pain or shortness of breath. If these develop, you need to go to the emergency room given the BP reading you are getting (the bottom number is XXXXX not the top number).

I do not recommend that you continue to check your blood pressure over and over today or it will likely go up because of worry/stress. You can check it once before bedtime and/OR if you develop any of the above symptoms.

Give the medication time and your blood pressure readings should improve.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The blood pressure cuff was purchased on the doctor's recommendation.. it is the same machine as he uses himself and is new, so I would be amazed if it was not working properly. I have to take my blood pressure 3 times a day for the doctor - I take a record in to him once a month. I have taken it more today as I have noticed it going up, but since last November, it has been consistantly *mildly* high. It seems odd that the first time I take the water tablet it goes higher.. I DID read that this can happen in a few cases but you feel this cannot be the case? My last reading was 163/90 - it has fluctuated all day.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
If the cuff is new then you can trust it.

It is strange that your pressure went up the first time you took the pill. I have not seen it happen to be honest but it is a coincidence so I suppose it is possible. I do not expect it to continue.

I would simply keep an eye on it.

Dr Abby