Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology

Hi - I have one swollen upper eyelid. It swells on/off throughout

Hi - I have one swollen upper eyelid. It swells on/off throughout the day (mostly swollen all day). It is not painful or red but it is itchy at times and my eyelid turns a dark red when it does swell. My vision is fine in both eyes. I have no allergies that I am aware of (have had allergy testing) and an optometrist said that the glands under my upper eyelid were swollen - but I'm not sure what that means (he said allergy symptom more likely). It is going on 14 days now with this symptom and I am concerned it could be some underlying disorder - what do you think it could be most likely? Worse case scenario and least case scenario. Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
There are several possible causes for this type of swelling. Based on the limited information available, I would suspect a chalazion. This link will provide you some information on this condition and other common eyelid problems.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/980600ap/carter.html

Without an examination it is however impossible to make any definitive "diagnosis". I would suggest making an appointment with a ophthalmologist (a physician eye specialist) to determine the exact cause and the best treatment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would a serious medical issue have a constant eyelid symptom (i.e. continous swelling, redness, etc.)? My eyelid swells on/off during the day and is often not swelled upon waking in the morning. I don't believe it is a chalazion because I don't have a solid lump on or under my eyelid (the eye doctor said my gland was swollen but that it went down when he gave me tobramycin drops) - would a serious medical issue get better like this (the swelling does seem to be decreasing) or is it still possible I should be concerned.
The fact that the swelling went down with the tobramycin drops does not exclude a chalazion.

I would still suggest an examination by an ophthalmologist to determine the cause.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
last question - would a chalazion cause constant swelling or can the on/off swelling I am experiencing be caused by a chalazion? Would a chalazion cause itchy eye, as well. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 4 years ago.

Hello there

I am one of the Just answer ophthalmologists. I would like to give you some of my thoughts on this issue. A chalazion by definition is a bit more chronic and the lid will have a little bump or nodule. Acutely, a chalazion is really called a hordeolum but these are usually tender a result of eyelid oil glands becoming infected. My guess is that the ithcing and swelling that is worse in the morning is either allergic in nature, that is some sort of environmental thing causing lid swelling. Another thing is this could be swelling that is due to some sort of systemic condition such as hypothroidism or even circulatory issues. Most commnly this is simply swelling that is occuring when you lay down and fluid builds up in the inflamed lid. My suggestion would be to use cool compresses several times a day and use something like Zaditor (over the counter anti allergy medicine) for a few days and see if this improves. If not get in with an ophthalmologist, Regards XXXXX

Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology