Dr.S.A.Alam
Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

My middle toe on the left foot is turning black from the tip

My middle toe on the left foot is turning black from the tip to the first joint at first but now it has gone all the way down to the bottom. The "bruse" is on the top and the rest of my toe is sort of a transparent redish color. There is now pain, but not at first.

I did not hit it on anything, nor did I drop anything on it.
The foot around the toe is slightly swollen and tender as if receiving an electrical shock. There doesn't seem to be any other toes doing this and they appear normal except for slight swelling. thanks,

Richard Feitz
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.S.A.Alam replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question,

Do you have any previous medical problems ?

Any medicine you take ?

Any tests done ?

Edited by Dr.S.A Alam on 3/15/2010 at 6:01 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been operated on six times, ( 1976, 1986, 1998, 2002, 2002, for a back injury suffered on the job. I had an Appendix operation in 1950) I have always been in very good health until hurt. I am very limited in wlking now and use a chair for long walks.

meds

Diazepam 10mg tab tid

Oxycodone HCL 10 mg tid

Morphine So4 60 mg tid

Protonix 40mg 1 tab in morn

Zomig 5 mg If needed

I have had m heart test ( Chemical stress)

blood flow test on legs Cked OK

many MRI'S on my back and shoulders as the ball and sockets are warn out.

numb fingers

my feet and legs hurt all the time but is just part of back injury. I wasn't supposed to be able to walk when I was hurt in 1976 but made it back to work in 79 weeks.

Thank you for your question,

Presence of redness swelling and tenderness on the toes is an indication of presence of inflammation. This problem can occur in
frost bite,
toe gangrene,
injury to the toe,
infection of the toe.
This problem needs to be seen by your doctor as this seems like a serious issue in the back ground of your multiple surgeries of the back.

I hope this answers your question.
Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K