Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

my skin is red an blotchy after getting out of the shower,

my skin is red an blotchy after getting out of the shower, especially on my face,neck and chest. It doesn't seem to matter what soap/shampoo I use. It goes away in about an hour.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Some people are sensitive either to the force of the water hitting their body, or to the temperature. You can try using lukewarm (body temperature) water and the lowest possible pressure setting and see if that helps. Some people find baths instead of showers eliminate the problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
neither the water pressure or the temperature are high. I have showered at hotels and relatives houses and get the same results. Baths are not really an option.

Obviously your skin is reacting to either temperature or pressure. Some people just have more sensitive skin and have to learn to adapt to baths or live with being blotchy for a while after a shower.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, my gut tells me its something more that that. Thanks anyway.
I will opt out and see if someone else has a better idea that will meet with your gut's approval. However the histamine reaction from pressure and/or heat is the medical answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what would make me suddenly start getting a histamine reaction to pressure or heat? This started about a year ago and has been getting progressively worse.
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I tend to agree with the other expert (histimine reaction). There is a somewhat common condition called Adrenergic Urticaria that some people get when they take showers. Basically, if you are taking a shower that feels warm to your skin, then the temperature is above 98.6F, so you are getting a vasoconstriction. The histimine response to all of this causes the discoloration of the skin (redness/blotchiness) and even wheals (itchy bumps).

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1049978-overview

This also is common after exercise, stress, or anything that makes you hot (warm).

It has been a pleasure helping you today. If I can help you further, please reply. If not, thank you for using JustAnswer.com and hope you will use the service again soon.

Edited by Nurse Milli on 3/14/2010 at 10:37 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
but is there something underlying that brought this on so suddenly?

Hi there

Underlying allergies seem to be a contributor since Mast cells seem to be involved. Also patients who have had or have Atopic Dermatitis also seem to be at a higher suspectibility to Adrenergic Urticaria. An Allergy Specialist (Physician) would be a good resource for you in getting to the bottom of your particular cause. Allergy tests are sometimes suggested in patients with Adrenergic Urticaria because they seem to have a higher incidence of anaphylactic-type reactions to other things (that is what the allergy test will help determine). You may have just started developing underlying allergies. If you are diagnosed with Adrenergic Urticaria, then you are already getting a rise in serum histimine when exposed to heat, so there is already something going on.

It has been a pleasure helping you today. If I can help you further, please reply. If not, thank you for using JustAnswer.com and hope you will use the service again soon

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.