Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I get dizzy when i look down using my neck. I dont have any

I get dizzy when i look down using my neck. I don't have any injuries but sometime i get tense muscles across my shoulders and neck. Which causes headaches and difficulty in concentration. I get tingling in my hands and arms sometimes. I don't spin out with dizziness, just feel a little light headed and off balance.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question
.
As you describe you need to undergo X-ray/MRI of cervical spine to rule out Cervical spondylosis in your case.
Cervical spondylosis may compress one or more of the spinal nerves branching out of the cervical vertebra resulting in neck stiffness , pain , numbness and tingling in arms and hands.

Mechanical neck pain usually starts in the neck and may spread to include the upper back or shoulder in Cervical spondylosis.
Apart from this pressure on nerves and neck also leads to cervicogenic headache and dizziness .
Take proper rest.
You should go for physical therapy for pain management.
Your doctor may advise you neck collar.
Take short breaks of rest while doing work .
I suggest you to consult an Orthopedist doctor for further evaluation and management .

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. However, i can move my neck freely without any pain or restriction. I Just feel like all the muscles in my neck and shoulders are really tense and have noticed when looking down to do my work, i feel a little light headed for a quick moment.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
Apart from cervical spondylosis , other possibility include BPPV( benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) in your case.
BPPV usually last a few seconds to a few minutes and are intermittent (i.e., come and go) as a result of a change in position of head.
I suggest you to consult a doctor for further evaluation and management .
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have seen an ENT and everything is fine. I did all the balance tests and it's not my ears. can sore neck and shoulder muscles from computer use at work cause this type of dizziness/ tingling in hands?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
Ya prolonged hours use of computer can sore neck and shoulder muscles and also results in Cervical spondylosis which causes tingling sensation of hands after compressing nerves at neck .
Dizziness, vertigo , headache can also definitey due to computer use
So i suggest you to take short breaks of rest while doing work.
For further reading -
http://ezinearticles.com/?Neck-Pain-After-Extended-Computer-Use&id=1109437

Try to find a cervical pillow which will change how your head is being cradled by the pillow
Do deep massage on neck and shoulders is also helpful..
Do neck strengthening exercises as well.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yeah, thank you for you help.

Is blood flow to the brain restricted?

Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
Blood flow to brain is not restricted with cervical spondylosis .
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok. because sometimes i feel like i cannot concentrate or follow people's conversations. feel like i have to concentrate really hard when driving etc when i have sore muscles or headache.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
As you have sore muscle with lightededness it can result in poor concentration so it is advised to do neck strengthening exercises and take short breaks of rest while doing work.
I hope this helps.