khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

Would you let your child have surgery on their tongue if the

Would you let your child have surgery on their tongue if they have said it was enlarged and that with the tonsils both need to be removed. Is there any other thing that could have caused an enlarged tongue?
Category: Health
Expert:  khagihara replied 4 years ago.
The 2 broadest categories are true enlargement and false enlargement.

False enlargement includes any of the following conditions, which force the tongue to sit in an abnormal position:

• Habitual posturing of the tongue
  • Enlarged tonsils and/or adenoids displacing tongue
  • Low palate and decreased oral cavity volume displacing tongue
  • Transverse, vertical, or anterior/posterior deficiency in the maxillary or mandibular arches displacing the tongue
  • Severe mandibular deficiency (retrognathism)
  • Neoplasma displacing the tongue
  • Hypotonia of the tongue

True enlargement can be subdivided into 2 main subcategories: congenital causes and acquired causes.

• Congenital causes
    • Idiopathic muscle hypertrophy
    • Gland hyperplasia
    • Hemangioma
    • Lymphangioma
    • Down syndrome
    • Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome
    • Behmel syndrome
    • Lingual thyroid
    • Gargoylism
    • Transient neonatal diabetes mellitus
    • Trisomy 22
    • Laband syndrome
    • Lethal dwarfism of Blomstrand
    • Mucopolysaccharidoses
    • Skeletal dysplasia of Urbach
    • Tollner syndrome
    • Autosomal dominant inheritance
    • Microcephaly and hamartoma of Wiedemann
    • Ganglioside storage disease type I
  • Acquired causes (Categories have been assigned to simplify the list, but there can be overlap of a particular etiology into more than one of these categories.)
khagihara, Doctor
Experience: Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will offer a tip if you answer more, thank you.

One doctor said she had big tonsils and retrognathism and then the other one said he thought she had slight retrognathism but mostly enlarged tongue and tonsils. We are now going to see another specialist for this. I want to know what questions should I ask and what should I lean towards in looking up? Could she just have a big tongue with none of the above conditions could it just be that and her tonsils or is there usually something that caused it? She was born on time 7lbs 6oz 21inches, she cried a lot so they put her on prevacid at 4months then she quit taking it at about 1 years old. She has been hospitalized 2 times for being really sick and they could never figured out what was wrong. The first time she was 8 months and had low blood sugar and was acidic we were in the hospital for 5 days. the 2nd she was 4 and had a high fever and dehydrated and we were in the hospital for about 5 days. When she gets sick she always gets really sick with a high fever and such. She has never had any diagnoses of anything and is otherwise healthy. She has not growth or development issues. She is having sleeping issues and that is why they looked at her mouth, she had her adnoids taken out at about 2 with tubes at that time. What should I look at or ask the doctor??

Expert:  khagihara replied 4 years ago.
I understand your concern. You should ask a doctor if she has a infection in tonsils. Sounds like she had frequent infections. Did she take antibiotics? If antibiotics are not effective, she should have surgical removal of the tonsils because she seems to have obstructive sleep apnea. Hope she gets better.