RAJESH  CHAUHAN
RAJESH CHAUHAN, Doctor
Experience:  + 26 yr experience; amongst 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Top 100 Health Professionals', & Who's W
15267337

I woke up with severe pain in my right arm. Pain extended

Customer Question

I woke up with severe pain in my right arm. Pain extended from shoulder to finger tips. Bending my arm was almost impossible. Now I am left with loss of strength, especially in the forearm. I have pain when using my arm. I am unable to bend my thumb at the knuckle and unable to bend my index finger at the knuckle closest to my fingernail. I do have neck problems, bulging discs, arthritis, spondylosis, degenerative disc disease, etc. my rheumatologist sent me to a neurosurgeon. i had an mri and the neurosurgeon will read the mri tomorrow.
Category: Health
Expert:  RAJESH CHAUHAN replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask you a few questions in order for me to understand your situation better.

1) Is it the first time that you are having such a problem with this arm and hand?

2) Can you raise your arms above the shoulder and move it around the shoulder?

3) Any swelling/ redness/ skin discoloration/ etc?

4) Any history of injury/ heavy exertion/ neck issues?

5) Any history of diabetes/ thyroid issues?

6) What would be your approximate age?

7) Any other medical issues/ significant history?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is the first time this happened to this arm. About two weeks prior to waking up with the severe pain, i had pain in my shoulder blade and upper arm. A similar thing happened four years ago. I had pain for two weeks in my shoulder blades. When the pain subsided, i had lost the strength in my left arm. I went to the gym and kept working the arm until i got my strength back. Doctor did an MRI

Yes I can raise and move my arm above my shoulder.

No swelling. Have had some involuntary movements in same side leg and arm.

I was in a car accident when I was 16. I am 54 yrs old now. I fractured one of my lower verterbrae. Constant neck issues. Degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, bulging discs, spondylosis.

I have an underactive thyroid.

54 yrs old

Have been dealing with sciatica on left side of my body. Have a total right knee replacement due to damage from car accident when I was 16 yrs old.
Constant migraines.
Osteoporosis
Osteoarthritis
CMC joint replacement in left hand
Bunion surgery

Thanks for the additional details. It seems that we may be dealing with a mix of problems out here, which lead back even to the accident that you had which probably has resulted in constant neck issues, to the underactive thyroid.

Going by your descriptions, the pain that you are having around the shoulder and shoulder blades is possibly due to the neck issues which are leading to a pinched nerve. That said, the problem with your hand seems to be arising possibly due to carpal tunnel syndrome. Kindly have a look at this web resource which provides authentic details about this condition:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm

I hope that this information helps. Best wishes. Please feel free to enquire if you have any remaining concerns/ doubts, as it shall be a privilege and a pleasure to try and help as much as I can.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have had previous MRI tests done. Which cervical disc(s) would affect my thumb and forefinger. I have the results of an older MRI in front of me. Why would carpal tunnel arise at the same time as the problem with the pinched nerve?

Thanks for the query. A sudden nerve issue overnight would not be causing inability to bend the thumb and the index finger along with the pain that you have described. It is just incidental that these two separate problems are coinciding.

That said, without the benefit of a detailed clinical, and having to go just by the descriptions that are being provided, this seems to be the case as of now. Nevertheless you need to check in with your doctor and get a detailed examination done so that the cause may be found and appropriately managed.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand that you need a detailed clinical, but I am under the impression that disease on specific cervical discs can be traced to predictable problems in the body. That being said, what discs would affect my thumb and forefinger.
Findings in 2006:
minimal retrolisthesis of C5 on C6. Mild disc space narrowing at C5-6 and C6-7. Vertebral bodies maintain normal height. Mild degenerative plate changes at C5-6 and C6-7.
C2-3 has mild right sided facet disease and uncovertebral spurring, and right sided foraminal narrowing.
C3-4 has mild rightward disc protrusion/osteophyte. Mild right foraminal narrowing.
C4-5 has left paracentral/lateral disc protrusion extending into the C4-5 neural foramen with moderate to marked left sided foraminal narrowing. There mild flattening of the anterior margin of the cord on the left with mild central stenosis.
C5-6 is a mild to moderate leftward disc protrusion and osteophyte partially effacing the subarachnoid space with mild central stenosis. There is uncovertebral spurring with moderate to marked left and marked righ foraminal narrowing.
C6-7 there is a mild leftward disc protrusion and osteophyte. There is borderline mild central stenosis. Moderate left foraminal narrowing
C7-T1 no significant disc disease.

So with that information could you please be more specific as to what disc or discs could affect my fingers.

I also had golfers elbow and received a cortisone shot about two months ago inthe right arm.

As I do not feel that this could be nerve related problem that has occurred just overnight, I have opted out so as to encourage other experts to help you with a satisfactory response.

Best wishes and kind regards.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.