Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I am 26 weeks pregnant. I just ate breakfast and measured my

I am 26 weeks pregnant. I just ate breakfast and measured my blood sugar 20 minutes after eating because I feel light-headed, and my reading was 335. What should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Are you able to measure your blood pressure?

Are you diabetic? Whose monitor did you use?

When did you last see your midwife or Ob/gyn?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No I do not have a blood pressure monitor. I am not a diabetic. I used a One Touch meter, and the last time I saw my OB was 2 weeks ago.

Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information. Having a reading for comparison purposes usually involves a time of :

after fasting overnight, just before a meal or two hours after.

So the blood glucose reading will need to be repeated two hours after breakfast. At the moment it is difficult to interpret the findings because it will depend on what you had eaten. If you are not diabetic then you need not rush to hospital based on a reading alone.

However if you are feeling lightheaded then that may require treatment, how are you feeling at the moment?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am still feeling light headed but have been sitting down because when I get up it I feel really dizzy. I will re-check after it has been 2 hours since I have eaten.

Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Leaving aside the blood glucose for the moment, if you are feeling lightheaded then this may be due to low blood pressure and I do not think that you should leave this for two hours if it is so bad that you can't stand up. There is a high possibility that you may be dehydrated if your glucose has been high for a few days and you have been passing excess urine.

Is there someone that can take you to visit a doctor or ER?

Apart from the low blood pressure, do you have any other symptoms?