Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

I am trying to determine which husband gave me HPV. I always

I am trying to determine which husband gave me HPV. I always had annual pap test. 10 years into my second marriage I had to have a conization and was told it was because of HPV. I believe (it was back in the 90s so my memory is vague) we were both treated with medication. I had not been with my first husband for 15years.

So which husband did I get it from?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Actually, you may never know which partner gave you HPV, because we have not tested for HPV 'routinely until recently. And, if you have had normal PAPs all your life, then it would be really impossible to tell. Plus, you can not test males just yet for HPV.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So ;you are saying for 15 years the hpv could have been dormant and not caused a bad pap? Again this was in 1992. When did routine HPV testing start?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Yes, HPV is a virus - and once you get it - it can remain dormant for LIFE just like every other virus you have had - such as varicella - which is the chicken pox virus, but is the exact same virus that causes Shingles. We did not start testing for HPV routinely until about 4 to 7 years ago. And, it was not until this year do we test for HPV for almost all PAPs - previously in the past 4 to 7 years, we only tested for HPV if there was an abnormal PAP, not in normal PAPs.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, if you have additional questions, please ask. Also, realized, even if you got it from your current husband, there is no way to test him.