Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

How long does it take for cellulitis to go away with keflex

How long does it take for cellulitis to go away with keflex antibiotic?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
This depends where the cellulitis is located and the dosage you were given of keflex (250 or 500mg and how many times per day)???
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well, I was technically diagnoised with paronychia of my second toe with cellulitis. The dr prescribed bactrium ds. No response and in two days my toe swelled very bad. The dr. drained pus from it and ordered keflex 500mg 4 times a day. I have been on it two days. My toe has alot less pain but it is still red and swollen. I am worried it might be fungal since i have toenail fungas too. Sorry this sounds so gross. Overall there is improvement, I am just worried that it might be MRSA or fungal.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
I would actually recommend taking BOTH the Bactim to cover for MRSA, and to take the keflex too (and you should take both for at least 10 days even if the symptoms go away in just a few days - this way all the 'bad' stuff is killed). Usually a fungus in a toenail does not present this way.