Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

severe headache, vomiting, altered vision..MRI, CT..migraine

My daughter is an 13-year old athlete that was rushed to the hospital last weekend after a series of volleyball matches with severe headache, vomiting, altered vision, and confusion. After several tests (incl. MRI, CT, spinal tap), it was determined she had suffered a complex confusional migraine. However, with no migraine history in family, I've been doing some research, as the headaches/throbbing in head have continued to recur during periods of increased activity for more than 5 days. Something that was discovered during hospital visit was that her sodium level was 127, when avg. should be between 136-145. In looking into low sodium levels, I've found that hyponatremia can occur when sodium level falls below 130. Even when we were discharged, her level had only increased to 128. Is it likely that she is suffering from hyponatremia, which carries all of the symptoms she had (headache, altered vision, vomiting, confusion)? Should activity be limited until further diagnosis?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
I would highly look into all the reasons for having hyponatremia - as hyponatremia can be lethal - so I would recommend that she get seen by her pediatrician for this and to 'stop' activity until this can be resolved.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We saw her primary physician on Monday following the incident and she agreed with the diagnosis of the confusional migraine. However, due to the continuation of headaches with activity and what I've read about the fact that hyponatremia can result when sodium level lower than 130, it has caused me to question diagnosis. I assume I should just seek a second opinion? Could I just visit the ER again over weekend, as well, to have another sodium level drawn to confirm suspicion of low sodium level?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
However, with a LOW sodium level - this needs evaluation such as having her adrenal glands looked at - I would question the diagnosis too!
The ER will not be able to give you an answer - she needs a complete workup - another suggestion would be to get a referral to a Pediatric Endocrinologist.