Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

what are possible causes of ileal ulcers without symptoms

what are possible causes of ileal ulcers without symptoms?
Submitted: 6 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 6 years ago.
What is your age? Bowel movements normal?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
50 yrs old, no noticeable changes
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
50 yrs old, no noticeable changes

Expert:  Internist replied 6 years ago.
There are several possibilities. The overwhelming likely cause is Crohn's disease which will give inflammation and ulcerations in the terminal ileum. Biopsy of the ulcerations may or may not reveal granulomas which are characteristic for Crohn's disease. Usually patients with Crohn's disease of the ileum will have some type of diarrhea. Other possibilities include decreased blood flow to this area which can cause ulcerations but you are young for this and the decrease in blood flow would usually be accompanied by other signs of vascular insufficiency. Tuberculosis can also cause ulcerations of the ileum. One other possibility is what is called Caecitis, also called typhlitis which is an inflammation of the cecum or the large bowel which can sometimes cause inflammation of the terminal ileum. If your cecum was normal this would be unlikely. If you have no symptoms I would recommend no treatment but consider a skin test for tuberculosis.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
since Crohn's usually has symptoms & t.b. is unlikely, what else might they test for if no granulomas are found in the biopsy?
Expert:  Internist replied 6 years ago.
No other tests to be done. If no granulomas may still be Crohn's or cause unknown.