Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

My body temperature is 97.8. What will help fight cold symptoms?

My normal body temperature is around 97.8. I have cold symptoms - runny nose, headache, sore throat. I also thought I had a fever but when I took my temperature last night it was 95.6. I thought fevers meant that your temperature rose not dropped. Is this still considered a fever. Will antibiotics help?

Actually a temperature of 95.6 is still within the normal range and it is not that uncommon to see a temperture of between 95 and 100.5 for most people. What you probably have is a viral upper respiratory infection and the best way to treat this is with what you already are doing. You most likely do not need antibiotics - we only treat with antibiotics if you are very ill with fevers approaching 103 or more and we THINK it is a bacterial infection, but MOST infections are viral and are NOT helped at all with antibiotics.