Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

sputum is a little mucus and a lot blood, not streaked

Hello. My husband, 37 y/o nonsmoker, started coughing up blood 9 days ago. The sputum is a little mucus and a lot blood, not streaked. I took him to the ER on 2/21. They did a ct scan and a chest x-ray, all came back normal. They wanted to do 23 obs and bronch in the morning. My husband did not. My primary MD started him on a z-pack, musinex, and hydromet. We have completed the z-pack. Initially when this started he was doing hanging abdominal crunches. He has not had night sweats. He did have a lowgrade fever when we went to the er and his bp was 179/95. He can go several hours without coughing up blood.
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

Is he still coughing up blood? Even after the medications you mentioned he was on?

Is he vomiting up any blood?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes he is still coughing up blood. No he isn't vomiting. Actually he feels fine otherwise.

Thanks for replying.

It would be very prudent for him to have a scope and bronch done. There can be all kinds of reasons from cancer to a vessel rupture. The most concerning thing is that it is continuing. If is occurs one time then we would not be as concerned unless it was a large amount.

The CT in the ER can show what is on the outside of the bronchial but he needs to have someone do the scope and examine the inside.

I would encourage this without delay.