CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

Hi, I am from south africa and have a foot drop dropfoot .

Hi, I am from south africa and have a foot drop "dropfoot". I was involved in a car accident 12 years ago where my Peroneal Nerve got damaged (cut) by a severe fracture to my femur. The nero surgeon at that time explained that the nerve had to find its way back to my foot and grows at a rate of 1mm(milimeter) per month. Time has past and it seems that my nerve eventually got there. I am starting to lift my foot slightly, but it seems that the muscle that needs to do the work is very weak. I have booked sessions with a physio therapist to do stim treatment. I want to know if this will improve my muscle ability and hopefully give me the functionality to gain good or full use of my foot.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am sorry about your accident, but very happy for the progress you have made so far! Working with the Physiotherapist will give you your best chance at recovery of function. The muscles have atrophied due to non use and now will need re-strengthing and retraining. I believe with these treatments and your willingness to perservere, you will be able to regain the use of your foot. To what extent will be determined through time and the ability of the muscles and nerves to perform effectively. If I can be of further help, just let me know. I wish you the best! :-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanx, it has been 12 years now and I am 35 years old. Will the muscle be able te recover to its full potential or not as strong as before. I am going to give my rehab 200%
There truly are no set in stone rules here... if your nerves have regenerated and you are already showing signs of improvement, with determination you will be able to acheive your goal.