Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I work nights and have been home for a while (not sleeping

I work nights and have been home for a while (not sleeping or laying on my arm) feels like my right arm is asleep. Should I be worried?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Are you having weakness of the arm? Loss of grip strength?
Is it the entire arm that is numb/tingly?
Any neck pain or prior injury?
Facial weakness? Change in speech?
Do you have any chronic health problems?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Weakness yes, because it feels asleep. I can still move it. Made fits with both arms, right one feels a bit weaker, but then again, it feels alsleep. I always have neck/back/knee pain, nothing new in the last few years. I'm a bartender- so I'm running around, picking up heavy things, bending over to get to ice well.. ect... although non of that in the past 3 days..... I have psorisis (spelling :) ) but other than that no other chronic problems.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

If you are experiencing weakness and numbness then I suggest that you seek medical attention.

If it were only a sensory problem (meaning loss of sensation) it could likely wait until you can see your doctor today but given the weakness associated with it, it needs to be checked out in the emergency room.

If it were only loss of sensation, I would consider a bulging disk/pinched nerve originating in the neck.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions and I will be happy to answer them for you,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I actually wanted to add I have growths on my thyroid. Be-nine (phonethc spelling) I haven't gone to get a check up after I was told results, could my thyroid have anything to do with this? Or does your last answer still stand (just filling in blanks) ? I tried add info, but no place to put it.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
No, the thyroid would have nothing to do with this.

If you truly have sudden onset weakness AND numbness, I would seek medical attention now.

Feel free to ask more questions if you have them,

Dr Abby