Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I have been told I may have a drooping transverse colon, but

I have been told I may have a drooping transverse colon, but the only thing I really know about or understand is that it means the transverse colon drops down lower than it is suppose to be. How does that part of the colon drop down like that, and is there any risks associated with it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.
How are your bowel movements normally?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They had me taking magnesium citrate to help move it through small intestine faster, but I normally tend to have a bit of constipation. Also, I was anorexic for nine years (totally recovered now, and have been for several years), I would eat 500-700 calories a day and would take 8-10 correctal laxatives which, I am sure, didn't do my colon a whole lot of good. I am 5'8 ft tall and got down to 65 lbs and had my K+ drop to 1.0; six months before that I was about 75 lbs and had my K+ drop to 1.4. My average K+ was 2.2-2.5. To say it is a miracle I am still alive is an understatement, God just had more work for me to do before taking me Home! I hope this information is helpful and not a waste of your time.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

The years of laxatives may well have reduced the motility of your colon. The 'droop' is less important than the actual function because waste passes along using muscular movement of the intestine.

Do make sure your diet is rich in fiber and that you drink plenty of fluids. But I would not worry about an anatomical feature. Many people do not have a 'straight' transverse colon on x-ray.