Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice

Have been in the hospital E/R, Intensive Care, etc. forty times

Have been in the hospital E/R, Intensive Care, etc. forty times since Feb. 2004. My lungs are damaged to the extent that I can just barely blow my nose(insufficient lung capacity). Asthma, Emphysema, whatever, is what they call it. The attacks are often horrible. Is there any hope to repair damaged lungs? I suspect the damage was done by my having been intebated several times. Can't even walk up one flight of stairs w/o gasping for air. Think the problem is my not having the ability to EXPEL the air. Is there any hope? Other than not being able to breathe, all my other body parts and systems work almost perfectly. Thank you very much. Charlie Garretson
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 years ago.
DearCustomer
Hello.It seems that irreversible damage has been done to your lungs by disease,?Interstitial Pulmonary fibrosis or some similar disease like severe recurrent bronchial asthma/obstructive pathology leading to severe emphysema and respiratory insufficiency.There would be cardiac pump failure/damage to some extent too.Your medications at home all seem to be for severe and chronic respiratory obstructive disease.You are already on a nebuliser,home oxygen for RHF and low sPO2 and inhaled therapy.Prevention of respiratory infections and regular Physiotherapy/breathing exercise to increase the cardiorespiratory reserve is all that can be done.This would include regular vaccination against influenza and other respiratory pathogen as also timely antibiotics as early as possible in disease.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Vakul Aren--Thank you for your response. As you may well imagine, after many, many often harrowing trips to the hospital with no longterm health resolution, my pleas to you are in desperation. Breathing isn't ever very important, UNLESS, you can't do it. As I write this, there is no problem at all. If I do any form of "exercise" such as walking to the bathroom, there IS a problem. Needless to say the walking is the provocation. Also, I can go to sleep and wake up an hour later unable to breathe--911. In such an instance, there is NO known irritant. But, should you know of any way I can INCREASE my lung capacity, please so advise. Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX
Regular breathing exercises will help increase lung capacity.Forced double expiration will also help.A Respiratory Physiotherapist and a Yoga trainer both can help you with the exercises.Starting gently,if repeated exercises are done ,over a period of time,there will be improvement and the respiration will become easier.It is definitely going to be a long drawn out process,but will definitely help.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice