Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

My 5 yr old daughter has been fighting a nasty cold for abou

Customer Question

My 5 yr old daughter has been fighting a nasty cold for about 4-5 days now. Low grade fever, cough, but normal appetite, no trouble breathing, etc. Called doc last Thursday, said get humidifier, and go back on DTuss for cough. Did that for last 4 days. Today she seemed fine, fever was VERY low grade, no motrin at all today, then about 30 minutes after bed, I went to check on her and she was very sweaty, and when I checked her temp it was 97.1. It has been bouncing between that and 97.9 for the last few hours (with ear thermometer). What is considered to low of a fever in a child. Fever is not unusual when she is sick, but I'm worried about it being to low. No shivers or shakes or chattering teeth, just clammy skin and low temp.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Normal is actually considered to be 37.0 so she is not really too low until about 36.5 and too high at 98.0

However if the temperature is going over 38 and not coming down with motrin or tylenol then she needs to see a doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm guessing you are using celcius? I'm totally confused by your answer. 37, 38, 98?
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, I meant to convert:

Too low is 96 and too high at 98 so running at 97.1 is fine, 97.9 is creeping towards high