CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

same knee due to recurring staff infections

My 78 year old father has had to endure three knee replacements in the same knee due to recurring staff infections. About 1 year ago, 1 year after his last replacement, he contracted yet another infection which fortunately didn't have the chance to ruin the connections. His doctor(s) indicated that this staff was a different one than the one that destroyed his previous knee replacement. Now, in just the last few days, he's been diagnosed with yet another infection. This time in/around a stress fracture in his right hip, the hip opposite the leg that has had the three replacements. It should be noted that his right knee has also been replaced quite a few years ago and has, so far, not been a problem. My question is why does he keep getting infections in his joints? Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. The most common cause of infection in joint replacements are from bacteria that enter the blood stream. This can occur during dental procedures, urinary tract infections, or skin infections. After joint replacement, his Doctor and /or Dentist should prescribe preventive antibiotics before dental or surgical procedures. It's also important to take daily multi vitamin/mineral supplement and get adequate sleep to keep his immune system in tip top shape. I hope this helps, if I can assist further, just let me know:-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Hi and thank you for your answer. However, this fails to address the specific question about why staff has now shown up in his right hip which has not been replaced. Also, he has been taking oral antibiotics daily for the last year or so and, in treating the previous infections, also given high potency antibiotics intravenously.

I'm not sure that this is a question that can be answered by anyone other than a specialist in this sort of medical issue. Thank you.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Well... staff can show up there if he had a stff infection in his eyes, etc... Often bacteria will migrate to a replacement site as well as a weakened site ( an irritated, worn hip, for example) this is a well documented fact. Every antibiotic is specific to certain bacteria, for example if I have a staff infection and my Dr gives me pennicillin but the bacteria is resistant to pennicillin and only sensitive to Keflex...then I can take it for weeks and it will do no good at all. Perhaps he wasn't give the correct anibiotic. To know which antibiotic someone needs, a culture ( Sample) of the bacteria must be sent to a lab.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think the answer is probably that no one knows. He hasn't had any infections other than the ones treated at the knee replacement sites. He's seen specialists in Palm Desert and in LA, as well a Missoula always with lab tests up the kazoo and they can't seem to figure out why it keeps showing up. Anyway, thanks for taking a stab at it.