CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

occasional moderate pain above and behind my ears, where the stems

For the past year and a half or so I've had occasional moderate pain above and behind my ears, where the stems of eyeglasses would sit. This will come on pretty suddenly and hurt horribly for hours, sometimes for days. I find myself rubbing at the hurting spots but that doesn't really help. It happens to both ears at the same time. I've asked people to look and they say the appearance doesn't change -- no reddening or swelling of the skin back there, for example -- and taking various over the counter medications such as tylenol, aspirin, etc., doesn't help. This pain tends to appear when I'm sleep deprived and sometimes sleeping helps, but sometimes it doesn't, and often when I'm in pain like this it hurts too much to help.

I've asked several friends and relatives and none of them have heard of anything like this. I'm 23, female and healthy. I have worn glasses for years, but only when I need to for distance vision -- often for no longer than a few hours a day. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi it sounds like a neuritis ( Nerve irritation) due to pressure from the glasses. Some people are very sensitive to things like this...such as a barrette in the hair can cause a scalp neuritis in some highly sensitive people. You should try to replace the glasses with another pair that sits differently, and not as snugly... you may have to switch to contacts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could it still be neuritis even if the pain doesn't seem to be effected by whether I happen to be wearing the glasses or not?

Come to think of it, this did start happening after I got a new pair. Maybe I should switch back to the old one?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
yes it is almost certainly what this is. Try your opld glasses and see if it improves. Take the new ones back and tell t hem what is happening.They have a machine that will allow them to heat the arms and bend them into a more comfortable position, if that doesn't work tell them you need the frames replaced.