Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

My wife is suffering from severe leg pain from the knee down.

My wife is suffering from severe leg pain from the knee down. She had taken two tylenols one 5 mg tab zolpidem and one darvocet . she is still suffering - any suggestions
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 6 years ago.
Is the pain in back of thigh & back of leg?
From how long she had this pain?
Is there any history of injury?

Edited by doctor_charles on 3/2/2010 at 3:36 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one moment - she says more in front of leg and ankle - had knee replacement JUne 2009 - pain not so severe three days ago - she is more comfortable walking not quite so much pain
The symptoms you have described can have all kinds of different causes, as it is a symptom of many different diseases. It can be due to A torn or overstretched muscle (strain,a hairline crack in the bone (stress fracture,inflamed tendon (tendinitis). Other common causes are: Atherosclerosis that blocks blood flow in the arteries, deep vein thrombosis), damage or disease of nerves.

Tests like electromyography and nerve conduction studies,certain blood tests,electro physiological studies, Arteriogram to check blood flow, Duplex Doppler/ultrasound exam to look for a blood clot, x-ray,bone scan are required to make the exact diagnosis. I advice for you to make an appointment for with your doctor for tests to know exactly the underlying cause & then treat accordingly. If the pain is very severe, then go to ER.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you - Will it be OK for her to take one hydrocodone
Acetaminophen is a less potent pain reliever that increases the effects of hydrocodone. So I advice for her to take the combination of hydrocodone and acetaminophen to relieve moderate to severe pain. It is a prescription medication for which she need to get prescription from a doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok to take the hydrocodone which we have on hand? - I am concerned since she has already taken two tylenols and one darvocet
How long back she has taken two tylenols and one darvocet?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2 Tylenol about 4 hours ago and the one darvocet about 3 hours ago
As she has just taken darvocet & tylenol- 3-4 hours ago, it is not advised to take hydrocodone now. Hydrocodone and darvocet can both cause a drowsy effect. Dont take the two together because the end result could be increased drowsiness, shallow breathing, or a very slow heartbeat.

It can be taken only after 24 hours. If the pain is severe,take her to the ER.