CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I am having numbness/tingling in my right knee and shooting

I am having numbness/tingling in my right knee and shooting pain in the back of my leg that seems to come from my knee. It has progressively gotten worse over the last 48 hours and started as just soreness of my knee and leg below. The pain kept me up last night and the only relief is sitting with my leg on the couch at about a 60 degree angle. There is no discoloration, just discomfort/pain in the leg and numbness in the knee. I am 40, relatively healthy with no prior knee/leg injury or issue. I work in racing so I am constantly walking/standing and driving for long periods of time. Any idea what this may be and how to treat it for now? I can go to the doc for further care but the pain right now is pretty intense.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. You may have something called Popliteal tendonitis. Popliteal tendonitis is usually caused by overuse as the tendon rubs against other tendons, ligaments and bones resulting in inflammation of the tendon, leading to tendinitis. Treatment includes ice packs to the area at 20 minute intervals ( bags of frozen vegetables work great) and staying off of it for several days. If the pain doesn't improve see your Doctor for an examination.