CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Can high heels cause this pain or do I have a blood clot Hi

Customer Question

Can high heels cause this pain or do I have a blood clot?
Hi I am 23 years old and I have been wearing high heels on a daily basis ( for work ) for about 3 years now. I also wear them frequently when I go out. I have never experienced any problems from wearing them. Recently within the past week or so i have had some mild pain and discomfort in my right leg. I noticed that the heels I wear to work every day seem pretty worn out. Im wondering if this could be the cause of my pain. Other wise I have not done any thing that I can think of that would have caused it. My fear is that I could have a blood clot. I checked my risk factors and I dont have any risk factors for developing a blood clot. I do not have any swelling or redness. The only symptom is the dull ache and discomfort. It feels like a cramp. the pain is mostly in my calf. I am only concerned because it has lasted for several days now. I am concerened any advice?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question. Have you gone a few days without the heels and it continues to hurt?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no ive been wearing them to work last time was yesterday
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
The shoes are most likely causing your problem. The support is probably completely worn out by now ( three years)The best thing you can do is go buy some shoe inserts for high heels... this should help a lot. If not, you will have to stop wearing them and see if that helps. Here's a test you can do to check for a blood clot in the lower leg. Sit down and rais the leg that hurts straight out, now bend your toes towards your chest ( inward) a blood clot would cause pain in the calf. Do this and let me know, ok?