Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

I took an oral antibody test..test came back negative

I took an oral antibody test 41 days after possible exposure to HIV. The test came back negative. I will retest at the 6 month mark just to make sure. I just want to check the likelihood that test like that would come back negative after 41 days?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

In most healthy individuals, a negative test at 41 days is highly accurate.

Most people will have detectable antibodies in three to four weeks. This means that if you were exposed to HIV 41 days ago, your oral test should have turned positive.

Oral tests are considered as accurate as blood tests in detecting the HIV virus.

You should still repeat the test in 6 months to complete the series. However, it is rare for people to get a positive result at 6 months after receiving a negative result at 1-3 months after exposure.