Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

My left tragus is very tender and sore to the touch - no other

My left tragus is very tender and sore to the touch - no other part of my ear. I went and had it looked at today by my general practitioner and there is no sign of infection. About 2 months ago the tragus of my other ear (right one) was sore to the touch for about a week and then it went away. What could the problem be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Hello

The Tragus often gets sore from the use of earbuds (because they are held in place by the Tragus). However, the Tragus can also be sore and tender from sleeping on that side of your head for long periods of time (if you don't move much during your sleep). Also, the beginning of a sebaceous cysts could be the cause of the soreness also. Although it may never materialize into a full blown cyst, it can still cause soreness until it resolves itself. This area (Tragus and earlobes) is often a common site for these types of cysts.

You can place some warm moist heat on the Tragus for a few days and see if this helps. If a cysts does materialize, you may need to have it excised and drained by your Physician.

Hope this helps!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_cyst

******This expert will not be paid for their efforts unless you click Accept. Funds are not automatically transferred to this expert. Click "Reply" if you need additional information.

Edited by Nurse Milli on 3/1/2010 at 9:06 PM EST