Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I have superficial numbness that started with my feet and calves

I have superficial numbness that started with my feet and calves in both legs, has since moved up to just under my breasts and now has spread to my left arm, hand, the left side of my neck, my left ear and portions of my scalp on the left side. The only parts of my body that are not numb are the right side of my head, nect and my right shoulder, arm and hand. Everything else is numb and I've lost fine motor skills in my left hand. Is this a pinched nerve or what? I see things online like transverse mylitis and ms but nothing that matches the comprehensively encroaching nature of my numbness. And it is not going away, I have had this for two months now. It is only getting worse.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Such numbness as you are describing is called neuropathy and is quite rare. It needs to be evaluated by either your GP or, even better, by a neurologist as soon as possible.

You will need a set of blood work to rule out multiple different conditions such as Vitamin deficiencies, electrolyte abnormalities, thyroid problem, syphilis, auto-immune conditions, and diabetes. You might need to have a test done to check your nerves (this test is called EMG) to see what kind of neuropathy you are having.

Your symptoms are not due to MS. Transverse myelitis is a very rare condition and is most likely not the cause of your symptoms, however, it does need to be ruled out.

So because your symptoms can be caused by a variety of different medical conditions, it is very important that you seek medical attention as soon as possible. If you can, I would suggest going to see a neurologist, however, if you need a referral to a neurologist, please see your GP.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If I have answered your question, please click the green "Accept" button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes,