Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

I was taking Premarin (.9) for 23 years due to a hysterectomy.

I was taking Premarin (.9) for 23 years due to a hysterectomy. About a year ago I switched to estradiol (1mg) as recommended by a new doctor because I thought the premarin was too strong and I'm now in my late fifties.

I noticed more breast pain /tenderness about a month ago and stopped taking the pills for about 10 days. I also had a lot of constipation, heartburn, bloating and dizzines. Now I'm trying to start taking them again but symptoms are coming back.
Should I switch back to premarin at a lower dose?

I also took the pills after breakfast each morning along with a high dose vitamin C pill, calcium pill and coffee. Now I see that all of those can affect the estrogen absorption!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Actually - you might want to switch to a patch - either Vivelle or Climara - dosing is 0.05mg per week (change the patch every week).