Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I have had muscles pain from using statins now for 4 months

I have had muscles pain from using statins now for 4 months this last 3 weeks I can now walk slowley with difficulty before that Ihad to virtually crawl around. How long does it normally to get back to normal? I am 74 and have never experienced pain like this dispite taking strong pain killers
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

The first thing is that the statins will be long out of your system by now. However you need to help your body return to normal by rebuilding muscle strength. This will be a slow process and will require you to eat a good healthy diet with a moderate protein intake.

The next stage is that your muscles require activity to assist with rebuilding muscle bulk and you should see a physical trainer to start to come up with an exercise plan that gradually increases in activity and intensity as the pain improves. You should also see a pain specialist to check that your painkillers are optimized to mainain pain control.

So, it is a long slow process and I appreciate that your pain may be holding you back from being mobile, but do continue to move as much as possible within your limits.