CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

My 22 year old physically fit son had been feeling a bit over

My 22 year old physically fit son had been feeling a bit over tired (keeping in mind he both works and attends school full time.) He works in the medical field and decided to have a urinalysis and blood work just to be on the safe side (mono and that sort of thing.) Today the nurse phoned to say he has 1+ blood in his urine and they're scheduling him with a urologist. Is this amount of blood in the urine anthing to worry about?
They inquired as to whether or not he experiences lower back pain. His response is that yes, after stnding @ work for 8-12 hours or playing sports his back may twinge some...but nothing out of the blue or ordinary.
Can u put this frantic mother's mind to rest?
thank-you Jean Brown
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I know you are worried, but try not to be....Hematuria ( blood in the urine) occurs in up to 10% of the general population and most causes are benign. A plus one is a very minute amount of blood detected in the urine. This can be coming from the kidneys, the ureters ( those are the tubes that carry urine from the kidneys to the bladder), the prostate gland , the bladder, or the urethra ( this is the tube that carries urine from the bladder out of the body). His Doctor may want to perform a Cystoscopy, which takes less than 10 minutes.He will be given numbing medication and a flexible thin tube will be inserted into the urethra so the Urologist can look at the urethra, bladder, and prostate. I hope this information helps, please let me know if I can help further :-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much! Love this service and will continue to subscribe! God bless....jbrown
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
you are very welcome:-)