Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
12995549

35 years old treated laparascopivally 5 years ago against Endometriosi

Customer Question

35 years old treated laparascopivally 5 years ago against Endometriosis. Trying since 4 times IVF not successful. Gynecology professors dealing with matter suggested further laparascopy which was effected around 6 weeks ago and according to doctor everything cleared and area is clean. I have extreme pains in this area (lower left quadrant). Gynecologists see no reason for that. Pain dostor gave within a month 3 lidocaine and steroid injection blocks that helped only for a short while. I have been using ibuprofen and optalgin tablets in immense numbers to numb the pain unsuccessfully. Doctors who don't see the reason are starting me on all sorts of tests - as they say to take me appart and put me together again in order to find out how to help me.

Is this scene familiar to anyone and can you help?
I very much want to have a child but have to stop because we have to find out the reason/s for this pain??
Help !
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

People with multiple procedures often result in pain of unknown origin which may (or may not) be related to adhesions. With the possibility of endometriosis then the way to exclude this as a potential cause is to use hormones to dampen down the endometriosis and see if this helps the pain. For some women, they find that endometriosis type pain actually improves during pregnancy.

Do make sure that a gastric related problem is not missed if this is left lower quadrant and it may be worth having a colonoscopy or abdominal CT to look into this area.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I need the answer from an experienced gynecologist or Pain expert - since I am being treated already by experts and need expert second opinion. A general answer about endometriosis is not sufficient
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.
I will contact admin to transfer your question.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
I'm an ob/gyn may I help you?
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 4 years ago.
Dear XXXXXine. I can really empathise with your problems. There are a number of theories why IVF would fail in case of pelvic endometriosis. Some experts think that, similar to PID, only removing of the tubes will increase the success of IVF. Others disagree and suggest to keep trying like Celion Dione. The persistent pain is most likely due to nerve entrapment of the ilioinguinal or superficial recurrent inguinal nerve on the left side, injured by the trocar of by a stitch that might have been placed to control a bleeding vessel. In any case, the nerve can be dissected and released surgically through a small incision by locating the spot of pain origin with an EMG, usually done by a neurologist. Good luck
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience: Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.