CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have a blinding headache which I do get from time to time

I have a blinding headache which I do get from time to time but this time my head and neck and even my mouth are all in horriable pain and the back of my head has a numbing feeling
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 4 years ago.
Hello..
These symptoms are due to a condition Mixed Tension Migraine .Many people people get tension headaches daily in addition to occasional migraines. Also It is very common to have both tension and migraine headaches.
Stress, fatigue, anxiety, or depression generally cause tension headaches.

This is usually described as pressure that feels like a tight band around the head and neck.

The Diagnosis of mixed tension migraines begins with a history and physical exam. Also the healthcare provider will rule out other causes for headaches. They order tests, such as a cranial CT scan or cranial MRI..
To treat the condition, relaxation techniques, such as meditation. Biofeedback may also be useful. It also involves the use of special machines to help a person reduce muscle tension.Also medicines may be needed to treat depression.The Long-term treatment involving medicine and behavior methods may be needed..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I know stress can cause migraines.I am not depressed..I have been diagnosed with having migraines even on a med. as needed.But my question is my whole head,face and mouth hurt with this one is that something commen with migraines because it has never done this
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
While not common it is very likely. Migraines can cause every symptom you are experiencing. If you are unable to bring this under control at home, please go to the emergency room where appropriate medications can be given to give you releif.

Edited by CamilleRN on 3/1/2010 at 5:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am stiil waiting on my 2cd question to be answered
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
If your second question is whether or not a migraine can cause your face and mouth to hurt and the back of your head to be numb, the answer is YES. If there is another question , please let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have taken a Relpax 40 mg about an hour ago and still the headache and mouthache is horriable...just the phone ringing sends me into a tailspin of pain everywhere..I have tried putting a cool compress on my head and eyes my right cheek is a little swollen do I just keep doing what I am doing
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Honestly, you are suffering too greatly and should consider having someone take you to the ER. medical intervention will stop this misery.

Here is an interesting article about the pain associated with a migraine:

http://patients.aan.com/resources/neurologynow/?event=home.showArticle&id=ovid.com:/bib/ovftdb/01222928-200703060-00022
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I guess i don't understand how a migraine can cause your very teethe and mouth to hurt...oh well..this is the first time I didnt get an answer to help..but I will pay anyway..thank you for your time
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
no... I dont want you to pay unless you are satisfied. I will list some reasons for you... just a sec.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I read the article you sent..but it didnt say anything about the teethe etc,,just facial neck pain which was interesting...thank you..years ago I had a suedo tumer with blinding headaches..But about a tear ago I was diagnosed with migraines but this is a whole new kind of pain just didnt know if they could be related...thank you
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
A migraine with facial pain can be caused by nerve irritation. This can be a combination headache affecting the head as well as the midface. ( face, nose and mouth). Numbness of the skin and head may aslo accompany this. of the skin and soft tissues is also found. It is also possible that your Temporal mandibular joint is involved. TMJ causes headaches similar to what you are experiencing. Here is a link to read more about

this:http://www.michigan-headache-tmj-doctor.com/basicsofheadpain.html

If you have had a pseudo tumor this needs to be reevaluated.

I know you are not in a reading mood. Please,if your headache isn't starting to get better now, seek medical help.

Edited by CamilleRN on 3/1/2010 at 6:30 PM EST
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.