Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
12995549

I have been experiencing this nagging pain in my left lower

Customer Question

I have been experiencing this nagging pain in my left lower stomach for the past week. It's located down below my belly button. It seems to be fairly constant and makes it difficult for me to concentrate on my work or anything else. It has even interfered with my sleep. I have never had a pain that lasted this long before. I am 42 years old (male) but I don't believe I am constipated because I go to the bathroom at least once a day, usually in the morning after coffee. But I took some milk of magnesia anyway, hoping it would help. It didn't. I don't think I pulled a muscle in stomach. I have to admit that against my wife's advice I took 3 Advil tablets this morning and it did help some. What do you think this is?
Category: Health
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer You did the correct thing in taking ibuprofen or naproxen. The dose would be three tablets every 6 hours. In addition, a heating pad or hot pack would also be helpful. This sounds to be either musculo-skeletal or GI. Since your bowels move daily,I would not take any more laxatives. This could be referred from the lower back. It sounds ,without benefit of an examination, that you should get better in time. If not, pay a visit to your primary care doctor. Good luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you have any idea of what the diagnosis could be?
I thought you got my impression based on the description and location of our pain. Since I cannot examine your back or abdomen, and the pain has been present for a week,it does not sound life-threatening and there are the possibilities I listed. If this continues,see your MD or, if relieved by NSAIDs, be patient a little longer. Be well