CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

Hi, my babys stools are bile coloured (pale yellow) and also

Hi, my baby's stools are bile coloured (pale yellow) and also smell strongly of bile. He has suffered repeated infections of ears, tonsils and chest - this last time ending up in hospital on a drip. He has never really had normal 'brown' coloured stools and also has a chronic constipation problem. I have spoke to the gp but they don't listen that well - I need to prompt some kind of tests? Thanks for your help.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
HI and thank you for your question. in general yellow stool is normal, however, Lactolose can cause the stool to be greenish yellow in color. It sounds like his Doctor is providing good care and is responsive to his situation, try not to worry too much. If I can be of more help, please let me know:-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Yes, we are receiving good care, but the problems are NOT improving, each episode gets worse, as a result the child ends up semi conscious on a drip! No, the lactulose is not working for constipation - this constipation is linked to the viral infections - somehow these trigger his system to 'seize up' and as a result these do not get excreted resulting in vomiting and dehydration. Are there some tests that I can ask to be done to check that his digestion is working as it should be?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
If he has been hospitalized for this were tests not done at that time? Common Lab tests would readily indicate a problem in need of further investigation ( I'm sure these were done) The problem may be a lowered immunity, and if he has had multiple virusses this in and of itself is reason enough to have a lowered immunity ( the virusses would cause it to be lowered). I would recommend he see a Pediatric Gastroenterologist, as this is the Doctor who specializes in this exact kind of problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, when he was in hospital they did blood, urine and stool tests to detect a major infection such as a bacterial infection. The results were a mild infection which made sense with the multiple viral infection. Yes, his immunity may have been lowered at the time, but all the pediatric specialists assured me that his immune function was not compromised. But they did NOT test digestive function, which is what I am asking about. Yes, I would like to see a Pediatric Gastroenterologist or ENT, but I need to go throught the GP first, and as such would need evidence that there is need to do so.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Since your baby has had multiple GI issues it seems that your GP should not hesitate to give you this referral. The fact that he is suffering with constipation for so long is indication enough. Be persistant.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, thank you - that is a good answer - I will try again with the GP.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
You have every right to ask for the best possible treatment. This is your baby and no one care more about him than you. Sometimes as parents we have to be more assertive to get the care our baby needs. I wish you the best. Let me know if I can be of further help:-)