Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

My morning resting blood pressue is normally around 134/49,

My morning resting blood pressue is normally around 134/49, t aken in bed before I arise. I take 1 mg of Atacand along with 25 mg. hydrochlorothiaside for high blood pressure (in the morning). Later in the day, watching TV, my blood pressure is typically 155/55. These diastolic pressures seem low. I feel OK, exercise 3 mornings a week at a fitness centre. I am 85 and about 30 pounds over desirable weight. What is the problem here?

George Mowbray
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

A high systolic pressure and low diastolic pressure is actually not uncommon.

Diastolic blood pressure refers to the amount of pressure in your arteries when your heart is at rest between beats.

As a person ages, there is progressive stiffening of the aorta and its main branches.

As the aorta stiffens with age, it expands less when blood from the heart enters it, causing higher systolic blood pressure. Also because of the stiffening, more of the blood in the aorta and its main branches is forced into other smaller blood vessels when the heart beats, thus, less is present between heartbeats to support the diastolic blood pressure, which becomes lower.

Although your diastolic pressure is on the low side, you should continue to take your blood pressure medications to keep your systolic pressure below 130. Lowering systolic blood pressure reduces the risk for heart attacks and strokes, despite an even lower diastolic blood pressure that might result from the treatment. So, even though your diastolic blood pressure is low, your doctor has taken the right approach by gearing your treatment toward bringing down your systolic blood pressure.

I hope this answers your question.