CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

ekg and a spirometry test done last week and all was normal

so i have asked many questions here and i need help...I have a long history of anxiety and a very stressful situation going on now......I have had shortness of breath that comes and goes all the time...I had an ekg and a spirometry test done last week and all was normal. I also had a stress echo done less than a year ago, but i feel terrible. My doc says ive had the workups and it just anxiety, but it doesnt feel like that. I cannot breathe, my chest hurts, and my arm hurts all the time. He said we have tested everything and its anxiety. How will i know if its anxiety or if its a heart attack?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
HI and thank you for your question. I am so sorry you are experiencing the agony of anxiety. Anxiety can be more disturbing than actual physical illness. If all your tests came back normal... you are normal. This is the first thing to KNOW. Something that will help you tremendously is to say to yourself " This is anxiety, This has happened a million times... it will go away, it ALWAYS goes away".
Are you taking any anti anxiety meds?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am off all meds....It just feels so different than usual...i feel like i cannot breathe and my heart just doesnt feel right.....I just always feel like they missed something....
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
One of the most common thoughts an anxious person will have is exactly that one " they missed something". When this happens use your logical mind... say to yourself... no, they did not miss anything, because there is nothing wrong. I have learned to be anxious and I am now learning to NOT be anxious. I will not let this anxiety control me any longer". Anxiety is very scary... it's hard to tell what's real and what isn't. So always refer back to " It has always gone away in the past...and it is going away now. All is well..I am fine. This is just anxiety and it will pass. It always has and it always will".
The shocking thing about Anxiety is that it can seem to come out of nowhere.. without a concrete cause. Something you can do what may help you is some anxiety relieving techniques. Starting with proper breathing. You can help alleviate the feeling of chest tightness secondary to incorrect breathing by changing your breathing pattern to abdominal breathing. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatique and chest tightness) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale showly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation. Do this three breaths at a time. Breathing correctly will immediately eliminate anxiety....every time. If it comes back do it again. Definitely plan to get adequate sleep. Sleeping is so important for over all well being. I hope this information helps you. If I can help further just let me know :-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks...last question i have is all this stress giving me a heart problem? what if this time its different? How would i know?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
You know because it has happened a million times before. What are the chances that it is cardiac? Ten million to one... Say to yourself.. I'd have a better chance of winning the lottery on a snowy day in July. YOU have the power to unlearn your anxious thinking. Remember you learned to respond this way and now you are unlearning it. Replace scary thoughts with a knowing that this is no different than a million other times this has happened. KNOW that it will pass, it always has, it always will:-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you very much. i sure hopr ure right :(
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
I am right.. you know this. Once you are able to control ONE episode you will be able to control more and more and will finally be able to put anxiety in the past.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its been 7 years though!!!
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
It could be 70 years... the truth is once you realize it is a learned behavior, you can unlearn it. People who have had anxiety disorder for 20 years have unlearned it once they knew that was the problem. When you have an attack, do the breathing I told you about and look in the mirror and smile... force the smile if you have to. Then let the unlearning begin. YOu are going to see a huge difference:-)