Karen RN, BSN
Karen RN, BSN, Nurse
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in Med Surg nursing, Oncology, Neurology, Home health and Hospice
18951377

squamous cell lung..I went for my first 3 month PET/CT scan

Customer Question

I recently underwent stereotactic radios surgery for a 9mm squamous cell lung tumor. I went for my first 3 month PET/CT scan. The results were it had shrunk over 50%. Somewhere around 5MM. My Radiology uncologist was pleased and said my prognosis was very good. He said when we repeat the scan in 3 months, it should only by scar tissue. Even though I did ask for expectations of the treatment, I thought it would be gone when we did the first scan. I am very worried that we're not going to get rid of the tumor. I tend to be a worrier. What are the chances of this spreading are recurring? Barbara Ann
Category: Health
Expert:  Karen RN, BSN replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Thank you for contacting Just Answer. Your Radiologist is right. This is a very good result. You need to understand the mechanism of treatment. Your tumor is just like any other cell in your body it reproduces it self by cellular division. As you are receiving your treatment it destroys a lot of cells but not all; therefore there are some that are resistant and are near their cellular division state of the cycle. This is why it takes a longer period of time as each cell is at a different stage of the reproductive cycle. You should feel very good about the progress so far and know that your tumor is responsive to the treatment you are receiving. Continue and feel good. I know we want it to be gone right away, but as I said this is good that you are getting results.

If my answer has helped you please click on the green ACCEPT button. Positive feedback is also helpful.. Karen

Karen RN, BSN, Nurse
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in Med Surg nursing, Oncology, Neurology, Home health and Hospice
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does your answer mean part of the tumor will still be there and not respond? I also asked what are the chances of my tumor spreading or recurring?
Hi, I did not say that after this additional treatment there will still be tumor there. What I said that there were some cells that due to their cell cycle they were not eliminated with this first round of treatment. That does not mean they will not respond to further treatment. The chance of chance of recurrence or spread is up to your physician to tell you as they know the exact type and stage of the tumor. As I said the response you got was very good and you should feel good about it. Karen
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it likely at all that the tumor will be scar tissue on my next PET/CT which is due the end of March (six months since my stereotactic radiosurgery)?

Don't mean to be a pest but I tend to be a pest and I get very anxious.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer You are only allowed one question with your deposit. I thank you for accepting my answer.

I will address your third question-- then no more.

When a pet scan is ordered there is glycogen die administered. Cancerous tumors are 'hungry' and will attract this 'glycogen' or sugar. That is how the Radiologist can tell a metastatic or primary tumor from scar tissue.

Yes, we will all hope when you have your next scan it will all be scar tissue. That is conjecture, the only answer comes with the test results as given by the Radiologist.

Positive feedback is always appreciated as well as a Bonus. I really wish you well. I do understand the anxiety..Karen