CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

dont understand a couple of diagnosies I have had a mole

dont understand a couple of diagnosies I have had a mole removed and bioposied and the dermotolgist told me that there is a scale that one goes by (1-5) he told me that I was right in the middle. It was called Letigous a typical??? I also recently have had a G-scope and some biopsies on some of that and it came back with barrots esophagus. Are either of these anything to be really concerned about? Are these forms of cancer? I am totally lost. I have been gaining weight like crazy does this have anything to do with these 2 things?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question. Atypical just means not normal can convert to cancer, but doesn't always...these are almost always removed to be on the safe side. Barretts refers to an abnormal change in the cells of the lower part of the esophagus which is believed to be caused by damage from chronic acid reflux. These cells have to be watched because they can sometimes convert to cancer. Treatment will be aimed at stopping the acid reflux. You will need periodic re-examinations to monitor this. I hope this helps, please let me kn iw if I can help further:-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank You very much but a couple more questions: What is the typical time frame for next evaluation? Should both be watched? Yes I am taking prevacid 2xs daily for the reflux.

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
The mole is gone now, so no need to worry. The Barretts is usually checked every 6 months to make sure it is healing.