Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

I have had a recurring problem of red itchy bumps that appear

I have had a recurring problem of red itchy bumps that appear on the head of my penis, especially after sex but not always. They usually go within a day or week, but last time it took a few weeks to go. They eventually burst if aggravated and the head of my penis seems to be peeling.

I also have a very occasional itchy anus, and also occasionally, itchy eyes.

I have been checked for every STD except Herpes, but the STD Doctor says he didn't need to check for Herpes as he was 100% sure that wasn't it.

I also have an itchy rash that appears around my ankles and shins - this is much more constant although it does go away after a few weeks and then comes back after a few weeks. The doctor first diagnosed Lichen Planus but I'm not 100% sure on her diagnosis.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
This could be a Lichen planus, LIchen sclerosis, or some other dermatological condition - the best way of getting a good diagnosis is to have this cultured for both Bacteria and a fungus (same as yeast or thrush), and also do do a 'Biopsy' of one or two of the areas (obviously not the penis, but other places) so that a pathologist can help get you the 'Exact' Diagnosis.
This sounds like you have a contact dermatitis for the most part and it could be related to latex, laundry (such as detergent) - so you might have an allergy to something too.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: This is all information I came up with myself. I was hoping for other possibilities (of diagnoses) that I could ask my own doctor about..
This is all information I came up with myself. I was hoping for other possibilities (of diagnoses) that I could ask my own doctor about.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
If you came up with this yourself, then you see that I am confirming this - and what I suggested is EXACTLY what needs to be considered -
If you want - here are some possibilities.
Herpes
HPV warts
Syphillis,
Contact dermatitis
Lichen planus/sclerosis
Paget's
Dysplasia
Cancer,
Yeast /Fungal/Thrush infection
Latex allergy
Laundry detergent allergy
Cold agglutinin allergy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Brad

Thank you for your larger list for consideration. I have to say that, having searched through photographs and descriptions of all those that you suggest - including Lichen Planus - none of them looks like what I have on my penis.

Lichen Planus definitely looks like what I have on my shins (although what I have on my shins does not appear to be angular or 'flat-topped'), but ALL of the images i have looked at of Lichen Planus on the penis look nothing like what I have on mine! On the images I looked at online, it looks different on the penis than it does on the shins, but with ME, both the rash on penis and shins look similar.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
This is why I recommend cultures AND biopsies - this is the only way to get a PROPER and CORRECT diagnosis.
Please click on ACCEPT, if you have additional questions, please ask, thank you