Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Am a 62 year old male with a very painful elbow! I think its

Am a 62 year old male with a very painful elbow! I think its called "golfers elbow" thou I dont play golf! this pain can vary between extreme jab to hardly there! this pain came on overnight without any obvious cause and has been with me for about 2 weeks now, I have had this before and it usually just diisapears of its own accord, any thing I can do to hasten this disapearing act?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Are you having any swelling?
Is the pain on the inside or the outside of the elbow?
Do you take any daily medications or have any health problems?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No swelling, pain is on the inside, only medication im on is losec for a ulcer
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

You are correct in that when there is pain on the inside of the elbow, it is often termed "golfer's elbow"
The underlying cause of this is thought to be due to chronic tendon problems from repetitive motion.

Initial treatment is to use acetominophen (you will need to avoid anti-inflammatories due to your ulcer disease), ice the elbow, avoid activities that bring on the pain.

Physical therapy, stretching exercises and steroid injections are also very helpful.

Here is some information for you to read that contains exercises that you can do at home. Just click the link and then search under elbow tendinitis

http://www.uptodate.com/patients/index.html

I would recommend that you see your doctor if the pain does not improve over the next couple of days though.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!