Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

im experiencing an stomach discomfort. I wouldnt call it

Customer Question

i'm experiencing an stomach discomfort. I wouldn't call it pain, but it is centered in my abdomen and it isn't something i've experienced before to my recollection. I know it could be something such as gas but I'm concerned it may be more serious. How do I tell?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Since how long is the pain?

How severe is the pain on the scale of 0-10?

Do you have nausea/vomiting, constipation/diarrhea, bloating, urinary symptoms, increase or decrease with the posture/eating?

Is there any specific point of tenderness?

Any significant past medical or surgical illness?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it hurts most when i'm leaning over or bending, but the pain is about a 4. I'm waiting to see if the pain increases. Its right in the middle of my abdomen like where the ribs end. no past illnesses, I had a cold and was laying in bed a lot.

There is tenderness if i probe with my fingers but it could be just the solar plexus? I've noticed the pain since yesterday. Could repeated state of laying, sitting up in the same bent position affect this? I dont have nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, bloating or urinary symptoms but it does feel better standing or laying flat than bent

The pain can occur due to being in same posture for long; so prolonged sitting up in bent position can be responsible for it. Since the pain increases on leaning or bending; if further points it to be of muscle origin. This muscle origin pain theory is further substantiated by the fact that you do not have any visceral symptoms (absent urinary symptoms, nausea, diarrhea, bloating etc).

You can take Motrin and keep a heating pad if the pain gets worse. Avoid those positions which are painful. This is not likely to be serious. This may remit on its own. You may need to see your doctor, if pain intensity increases or any of visceral symptoms start.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun