Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

Hi. Im recovering from alcohol abuse and have been sober

Hi. I'm recovering from alcohol abuse and have been sober for the past 10 days but my sleep cycle has been completely out of whack which I know is to be expected. My doctor prescribed me Campral and I am also prescribed Ambien for sleep purposes. I'd like to take one tonight to try and get myself back into a normal sleep cycle. Is this alright to take the ambien with the Campral or would that cause a problem? Thanks.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I took the liberty of running both drugs through a drug interaction software. In addition, I did a quick survey of online resources. There are no real interaction considerations for these two drugs. Normally, providers check for interactions when prescribing, but it is always a good idea to double check as well. I will mention that some people have extreme side effects to Ambien, such as getting up at night and doing things without any recall. This is very, very rare, and it is NOT likely to happen to you. Feeling a bit groggy in the morning is more likely. Regardless, it is always a good idea to just note your response to the med. This is actually a good rule for any new drug. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.

I was prescribed the ambien long before my alcohol problems began (as I've always had problems with insomnia) and the campral is a new addition so I wasn't sure if I could take the two together. I appreciate the quick answer.

Thanks again.