Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

bun of 80 is concerns hemoglobin was 10.4..infection

just had labs done for my neph doc, my creatitine is 1.8 my bun was 80 he did not seem concerned with the bun of 80 is concerns hemoglobin was 10.4 I am four days out from my next aranesp shot, I do have a sinus infection I think.............the 1.8 is about normal for me at this point during this last year it has become my new base line any suggested ideas or follow ups regarding the BUN

Thank you for writing in today. When considering the creatinine and BUN, creatinine is a better indicator of overall renal functioning. BUN fluctuates greatly and can be influenced by a number of things, such as high protein intake, stress, and dehydration. The fact that your creatinine is at baseline is a great indicator that your renal functioning is stable. The best thing to do would be to request another BUN and creatinine in a few weeks. Chances are the BUN may be lower then. However, even if it remains at 80, as long as the Creatinine is stable at 1.8 that would be positive. Now, if at your next check the BUN is at 80 or greater and your creatinine is going higher, then that would be more concerning. I hope this helps to explain. If you have additional questions or need clarification, please let me know. Lisa