Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

My blood pressure is extremly high after having a colonosopy

My blood pressure is extremly high after having a colonosopy on Tues. I used Moviprep in preperation for this proceedure. I have always had low numbers except for when I had Toxisemia 27 years ago. my numbers were 159/92 now they are 145/76. should I be concerned or continue to drink water to flush my system.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I have a few questions. When was the 159/92 and 145/76 blood pressures taken? What was your blood pressure normal range before the procedure? Have you ever had high blood pressure readings before? Do you take any medications or supplements? Any other health issues? Are you eating, urinating, and stooling (please describe)? Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The 159/92 was this morning. and the 145/76 was after lunch today, after having 6 glases of water. my normal range is 110/65 or so. I don't take any BP meds and the only supplemenets I take are Fish oils for my Dry eyes./ everything else you asked about is normal. Thanks Joan

Thank you for responding to the questions. First of all, you should notify your doctor of the blood pressure increase. This should be reported, since there is a significant increase over your baseline pressures. Now, there are a couple things to consider. First of all, the prep before the colonoscopy can be dehydrating. When a person has significant dehydration, the body can actually clamp down in response to the lowered circultating volume and cause some high blood pressure. However, on the flip side, overhydration can increase circulating volume and cause some increase in blood pressure. At this point, you need to consider your hydration status. I would not recommend EXCESSIVE water intake, especially if restricting sodium. Average water intake should allow your body to return to a more ideal water balance. As your water balance normalizes, your pressure may improve. Another thing to consider is that the bowel prep cleans the colon, including the good bacteria of the colon. High blood pressure can be a response to the overall imbalance of your body. Therefore, eating yogurt with active cultures may help to restore the good bacteria in your system. Now, since you are drinking a large amount of water, are restricting sodium, and recently had a bowel prep, possible electrolyte imbalance is a bit concerning. Overall, your blood pressure may likely improve spontaneously; however, it needs to be reported. In addition, I would not recommend restricting electrolytes, such as a very restrictive sodium diet, without discussing it with your provider first. I hope this helps. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa