Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Hi, My blood pressure is 169/100. Should I see a doctor

My blood pressure is 169/100. Should I see a doctor for treatment? Other than lack of energy. I feel fine. I am 64 year old female. I hve had this for a while and no chest pain.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Hello Annie,

A blood pressure of 140 for the top number and/or 90 for the bottom number is XXXXX high blood pressure. If you are consistently getting readings higher than this, it is very important to follow up with your doctor to discuss treatment.

Over time, if this is left untreated, it can lead to chronic health problems (kidney disease, enlarged heart, for example). It also increases your risk for heart attack and stroke.

High blood pressure normally does not have symptoms until it leads to complications.
That is why it is so important to treat it early.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!