Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

I have been using Activia yogurt fairly regularly for over

I have been using Activia yogurt fairly regularly for over a year...not because I had a specific GI problem but to maintain good intestinal health. Approximately 2 months ago, I began taking Align probiotic daily as well...after 3 weeks, I began to notice a heavy, bloated, gassy feeling in my lower abdomen...I'm thinking that I may be taking too much probiotic between the Activia and the Align but don't know if it's possible to rake "too much" or if this bloat and heaviness is a common side-effect....also not sure how to go about cutting back...is it advisable to cut back gradually or to simply eliminate (no pun intended) the Align or the Activia...I did go to my MD about 6 weeks ago for a routine exam and everything checked out fine, as far as the standard exam was concerned. Thanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. Probiotics are associated with gas and bloating. Most probiotics are bacteria. Granted it's friendly bacteria, but it is bacteria nonetheless. Bacteria is associated with gas and bloating, which explains why this can happen when a person starts or takes alot of probiotics. You may be overdoing it a bit on the supplements. If you cutback on your intake, you may find that the bloating and gas resolves. Since you are taking both supplements, you may try reducing the amount or eliminating one first. Obviously, I will have to recommend you seek medical care if your condition worsens and to confirm diagnosis. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX continue with the Activia and eliminate the Align immediately (or vice versa) do you think that would be too abrupt a change?...otherwise, I'll stop taking the Align right away. Thanks again!
I'm been thinking about it a little bit. It may actually be the Align that may be causing the gas and bloating, since this was the last one introduced into your diet. You should be able to stop it. You may notice a little stomach or bowel change, but you should be able to tolerate stopping the probiotic. Now, if you are taking it more than once a day, you could cut back to once a day and gradually stop over the next few days. I really think that you may have less gas and bloating after stopping. However, again, if you don't notice significant improvement, symptoms worsen, or you develop new symptoms, you should consult with your doctor. Lisa
Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Excellent...will do!...thanks again, Lisa!
I was just doing some more investigating on the Align. Interestingly, the website for Align says it does not cause gas or bloating; however, in another section, it says that side effects are similar to other probiotics, and they mention gas and bloating. The statement regarding no bloating or gas may be related to positive clinical trials; however, I still think it's worth investigating. Given the fact that it is a probiotic, it still has the potential to cause gas and bloating in some patients--I'm sure. I just found the contradictory information about gas and bloating interesting. I thought I would share. Lisa
I hope it works for you. Have a great night. Lisa