Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

Hi I am 36yrs old and am trying for my first child, I have

Hi I am 36yrs old and am trying for my first child, I have normal periods with a cycle of 25-28days, I took clomid last mth 50mg starting on day 5 and ended up with a cycle of 32days. I will be starting my second mth of clomid on the 27/2/10 and would like to know when best to make love as it was usually day 13/14 that I ovulated but I think with clomid it may have extended this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. It's not unusual to have an irregular cycle, even without clomid. You may actually have a regular 25-28 day cycle this next time. The important thing is to try and recognize ovulation. I'm sure you know that ovulation is when you are likely to get pregnant. For women on Clomid, ovulation usually occurs 5 to 10 days after the last pill. This is when you will be most fertile. Now, in addition, if you are not already doing so, I would really recommend tracking your basal temperature. A woman's temperature tends to spike when she is ovulating. There are some user friendly online resources (menstrual and fertility calendars) that are helpful for trending basal temps, ovulation, and cycles. I think that www.mymonthlycycles.com is a simple, user friendly resource. In addition, if interested, you may consider using an ovulation test kit. These are sold at most pharmacies. I hope this helps. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know. I hope we'll be answering pregnancy and baby questions very soon! :) Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I should have said I had regular cycles until last mth the 1st mth of using clomid.

I also used the clearblue fertility monitor but have been told this may not be as accurate if using clomid? so if I finish taking clomid on the 3/3/10 should we be making love every other day from the 8/3/10 to 15/3/10?

Yes, in general, the 8th through the 13th is when you should be most fertile. (Ovulation is usually 5-10 days after the last Clomid, but you can extend it to 12 days or to the 15th). As for the clearblue fertility monitor, when on Clomid, your high fertility days may be more inaccurate, but it should pick up your peak fertility days a little better. It's more accurate identifying the Peak fertility when someone is taking clomid; therefore, it's still a good tool to be using. It may just show some abnormal high fertility, but still may be useful to you. I hope this helps. Again, if you have questions or need clarification, please let me know. Lisa
Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner