Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I have had a sore throat on and off for 2 months. The 1st 2

I have had a sore throat on and off for 2 months. The 1st 2 times it went away on it's own after 7 days only to return a short time later. The 3rd time I went to the dr and had a culture which only showed light growth of strep c and a slightly elevated WBC (11.4). I was put on a 10 day script of amoxicillin. My sore throat went away after day 2 of antibiotics and came back a week after finishing them. So I have it again. It's worse later in the day. Is this all from the strep c?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. Group C Strep is more rare; however, it can be an aggressive infection. There is the possibility that your pain may still be related to infection; however, this may just be some normal sequelae post-infection, which essentially means that you may have some pain as your throat begins to heal. Now, with this being said, since you are still having throat discomfort, I would recommend a re-check with your provider. Given the complications associated with Group C strep, such as sinusitis, abscess, and rheumatic fever, it is best to error on the side of caution and check that throat. It is very good that you took your antibiotics as prescribed. This is the best way to treat Strep infections. Also, in the meantime, you may want to consider gargling with salt water a few times per day. In addition, if you find anything, such as food or drink, particularly irritating to your throat, you may want to cut back until your throat has healed properly. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions and concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would just a light growth of strep c cause such a problem?
If there is any strep c infection, yes, it can cause pharyngitis. Given the circumstances, especially considering that you likely had this infection on and off for a couple months, a follow up would be most prudent to ensure that the infection has cleared. In addition, another thing to consider would be a secondary infection. Unfortunately, when there is an infection, sometimes a secondary infection can start as well. At this point, I really would recommend using the salt water gargling. In addition, I would recommend that follow up appointment. Generally, providers can easily assess a throat. If your throat still looks inflamed or has any exudates (pus), your provider may want to do another round of antibiotic. Again, this may just be some pain as your pharyngitis resolves, but it is important to rule out continued infection, due to the risks associated with Strep infections. Please, if you have additional questions or need clarification, please let me know. Lisa