Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

unbearable hot burning itching over my entire body

about 3 weeks ago I started to getting this unbearable hot burning itching over my entire body. it feels as if it is coming from the inside of my body outward. this last for about 15 minutes then goes away. it happens once a day. I am very concious of my diet and what I eat because I am diabetic. Any suggestion as to why thi sis happening to me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. This complaint regarding "burning" and "itching" sensation is not uncommon. Burning and itching sensations can be caused by some dysfunction of the nerves. Given your history of diabetes, I would recommend consulting with your primary provider. Your primary provider may want to check your Hemoglobin A1c. In addition, your provider may want to do some monofilament testing. Monofilament testing is used to screen for diabetic neuropathy. Also, your provider, depending on the exam, may want to refer you to a neurologist for additional screening to rule out nerve dysfunction/damage. Now, with this being said, I can't guarantee that this is caused by any type of nerve disorder, given the limits of this format; however, given your symptoms and your history of diabetes, the possibility needs to be considered and evaluated, especially if you have any documented neuropathies or other complications, such as renal insufficiency, related to the diabetes. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Lisa.

Thanks foryour response. I have one more question. I have no documented neuropathies or other complications. So if the symptoms I am experiencing are related to the diabetic neuropathy, is it reversible? What can I do to improve my condition? What would be the possible treatment options?

There is no way to know if this is related to neuropathy, without appropriate testing. However, given your diabetic history, this should be reported and you should be evaluated for nerve dysfunction. This would be of the biggest concern; however, this could also be related to other things, such as anxiety and even menopause. However, again, screening for nerve dysfunction is particularly important for diabetics. Now, with this being said, since this could be related to a few different things, it really is difficult to discuss treatment options. The important part is to convince you that a visit with your provider is necessary. No, neuropathy is not reversible. There are many treatment options for neuropathy, but, again, a proper diagnosis is key. The best way to prevent neuropathy and other complications for that matter is to keep tight control of your glucose. Monitor and trend your hemoglobin A1cs. Given your history, I would encourage you to definitely keep your provider in the loop about your health and any changes with your body. Unfortunately, diabetes can really cause some problems, even with the most compliant patients; therefore, maintaining close patient-provider contact is really important. One thing I mention is that you sound like you are very compliant and since you don't have any complications, such as neuropathy, that is wonderful and very positive. This may be something very minor. It also may be self-limiting. However, again, I would get it checked out. Clarice, I know this is quite a bit of information, so please feel free to let me know if you need any clarification. Lisa